Thursday, February 11, 2016

Meet Our Sisters: Sr. Lumen Odom, OSB

(Meet Our Sisters will be a Blog Series to get to know our Sisters from the Missionary Benedictine Sisters in Norfolk, NE. Each month we will feature a new Sister and her journey to become a Missionary Benedictine Sister.)

 

Born: Tennessee/Georgia, USA
First Profession: March 9, 1996
Final Profession: September 4, 1999
Feast Day: February 2nd
Mission Experience: Guatemala, China, USA
 
I am a native of the state of Georgia; however I was born in Tennessee because my father worked in the low mountain region of Georgia on the Tennessee border and there were no other hospitals close by.
From the time of my earliest memories to the age of 10, I lived on an island off the coast of Georgia, named St. Simon's Island. From there my family moved to Columbus, GA on the western edge of the state and I graduated from high school there. The University of Georgia was my next education stop because my father would hear of nowhere else. After my graduation with a BS degree in Dietetics/Institutional Management, I served as an Army officer 6 years to fulfill my ROTC scholarship requirements.
After some discernment and earning my BS in Nursing, I decided to enter the Missionary Benedictine Sisters in Norfolk, NE. I made my first profession on March 9, 1996 and my final profession on September 4, 1999. My mission experiences as a sister include a few months in Guatemala for Spanish language immersion. This experience helped me become more fluent in Spanish in order to serve the Latino patients in our local hospital.  Later, when I was offered the chance to be missioned to China, I jumped for it. I served with the sisters in Meihekou City, Jilin Province for 7 years in the Aimin Hospital.  My nursing ministry in the hospital included staff education and clinical nursing rounds with the nursing directors. My favorite part of this ministry was going out on our mobile clinic to meet and serve the rural poor of our area. This has been the most rewarding experience of my missionary life so far!
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment