Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Meet Our Sisters: Sr. Dorothy Frances Brooks, OSB

(Meet Our Sisters will be a Blog Series to get to know our Sisters from the Missionary Benedictine Sisters in Norfolk, NE. Each month we will feature a new Sister and her journey to become a Missionary Benedictine Sister.)

 

Place of Birth: New York, USA
First Profession: April 25 1962
Final Profession: May 5 1966
Feast Day: February 6 – Feast of St. Dorothy, Virgin and Martyr

Mission Experience: USA, Spain, Brazil
 
I became a nun because I felt I was called to believe that the holy purpose of our lives is to put God at the center through a deep and broad love of others and to teach them how to do this. Imagine if all our relationships between strangers and nations were rooted in God’s love for us and aimed at bringing each of us to wholeness and holiness.
My ministry after I finished college was to teach social studies and religion to grade and junior high school students. I taught in Raeville, Madison, Columbus, Winnebago, and Norfolk in Nebraska as well as in Los Angeles and Kentucky. I was also missioned to Madrid and Barcelona in Spain where I taught English and worked with Filipino migrants. I was also missioned to Olinda, Brazil where I taught English. While working in the various places, I also made and effort to provide the individuals with spirituality services. At present I am helping one of our Sisters who will be going to Spain to learn how to speak the Castilian Spanish which is spoken there.
As a Missionary Benedictine Sister, my most rewarding experience was to develop a close relationship with others.
For those discerning a commitment to religious life, I would tell them about the holy purpose of their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment