Thursday, July 9, 2015

Meet Our Sisters: Sr. Fidelis Marie Lanowich, OSB

(Meet Our Sisters will be a Blog Series to get to know our Sisters from the Missionary Benedictine Sisters in Norfolk, NE. Each month we will feature a new Sister and her journey to become a Missionary Benedictine Sister.)

 

Born: Pembroke Pines, Florida.
First Profession: July 31, 2010
I was always attracted to religious life ever since I was a young child. I grew up knowing religious priests and sisters. They were wonderful role models for me and had such a zeal for life. They were young and cool and weren’t afraid to be passionate about their faith. I was intrigued by their commitment to the Lord and their relationship with Him. I knew their joy was stemming from their intimate relationship with God. I wanted what they had.
So after I graduated high school I started to discern the religious life. I was in contact with different religious orders and began visiting all types of religious communities. I didn’t know much about Benedictines but was introduced to their way of life and charism by one of the Missionary Benedictine Sisters. I found that I had a very strong connection with the Benedictine way of life and so decided I would start focusing on discerning with the Missionary Benedictine Sisters. The balance and structure of the monastic schedule, the strong community life and community prayer, the times of silence, the love for missionary work, the care and respect for the earth, the cultural diversity and all ranges of ages among the sisters; these aspects spoke to my heart. During my first visit to NE I was filled with such peace, I knew that the Lord was calling me to be a part of this Congregation. After a few years of visiting and communicating with the sisters I decided I would enter the monastery. I joined the community on January 16, 2007. 
Since I have entered I have found that I love this life more and more. It has been wonderful to grow in my faith and as a person. It is encouraging to have a whole community of sisters helping each other and supporting one another in our walk with the Lord. I feel blessed to have had many new experiences and I know that many of them would not have happened if I were not a Missionary Benedictine Sister. I find that new assignments I am given reveal different gifts and talents I was unaware of having. Community life has shown me how to love my sisters’ despite their wounds. It has taught me a lot about what love really means and forgiveness. It challenges me every day to grow as a person, to be Christ for my sisters, and to deepen my relationship with the Lord. I love my life as a Missionary Benedictine Sister and I am excited to see what the Lord has in store for my future!
To anyone who may be considering the religious life I would say don’t be afraid! If God is calling you to this life it will be the place where you will be most fulfilled. The Lord will not disappoint you and He can never be outdone in generosity! Take time to discern the religious life, frequent the Sacraments, find someone you can trust to journey with you while you discern like a spiritual director or vocation director, give yourself times of silence to think, and most importantly pray! Know that you are not alone if you are feeling called to the religious life and I will be praying for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment