Monday, March 30, 2015

REPROACHES of THE PASSION Set 3: You handed Me over to be scourged

O my people, what have I done to you? How have I offended you? Answer me. 

For your sake, I scourged your captors, and you have brought your scourges down upon Me.




The 10 plagues inflicted on the Egyptians before the Exodus was God's way of saying to Pharaoh, the Egyptians, and the Israelites: I AM THE LORD! Thanks to their hardness of heart, none of them really got the message. The Jewish people forgot the significance of those plagues. Hence the Crucified Savior complains about that:

The freed people became the persecutors; they held the Son of God in bondage and would not let Him go, even when Pilate (a pagan) tried to set Him free. They delivered their Savior to the scourges of the Romans (pagan people); like Pharaoh, they had hardened their hearts to the Voice of God in their midst. In Egypt, on the first Passover, God spared His people from the scourges he inflicted on the Egyptians; on this Passover, God did not spare His only Son from the Scourges. Jesus is the lamb without blemish, whose sacrificial blood saves us from captivity to sin.

From the Cross, the Savior says to us: See My broken flesh. I received these scourges for you; I didn't have to endure them, but I chose to for your sake. I did not lay aside My mission in order to appease the leaders and the elite of My time, and neither should you; I did not hide My identity just so I could get along with others and have a long life, and neither should you; I did not take the easy way out, and neither should you. I did not compromise my values and principles just so I don't offend others, and neither should you. Every time you fail to stand up for Me, you deal a fresh round of scourges on My already torn flesh.




No comments:

Post a Comment